Thursday 31 July 2014

Magic Custard Cake (1) - Lemon Magic Custard Cake

"What magic? Where's the magic?": asks one of the customers. "It's all in the cake. Buy the cake and you will know." says Aunty B.

"I don't like custard." says another. "The custard refers to the texture of the cake." I answered.

The name of this cake is certainly eye-catching. When I first saw the name of this cake on several blogs, that was the same question I had. I read a few of the recipes and was amazed to learn that we can create 2 different textures with one cake batter. One batter! Not three. I wanted to try the cake but couldn't finish the cake all by myself so I sent the link to a blog to my dear friend and we arranged to have a baking session at my place last week.

I have used the recipe from Anncoo Journal and used lemon zest instead of orange zest.


Lemon Magic Custard Cake

113g Butter
480ml Milk
4 large Eggs
1 tbsp fine Sugar
140g icing Sugar
1 tbsp Water
115g plain Flour
zest of one Lemon
1 tsp Vanilla essence

1. Preheat the oven at 160 deg C. Grease and line a 8 inch sq pan.
2. Heat the butter till melted and set aside.
3. Heat the milk using low fire till warm and set aside.
4. Separate the egg yolks and whites.
5. Whisk the white eggs till frothy and add the fine sugar and beat till stiff. Set aside.
6. Hand whisk the egg yolks and icing sugar till pale and thick.
7. Add the melted butter and water to the beaten egg yolk mixture and mix well.
8. Sieve the flour and add into the egg yolk and butter mixture in batches together with the orange zest.
9. Test the milk with your little finger and make sure it's not too hot. Add the milk into the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
10. Fold in the stiffen egg white in batches. The egg white will not mix in very well but it's ok. Just try to fold in as well as possible and minimise any visible lumps.
11. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 45-60 mins.
12. The cake will be still a little wobbly when done.
13. Remove from cake pan when completely cooled and slice after chilling.


I have used my brand new stencils and snow powder to decorate the cake after it cooled.
 Voila! Look at the 3 different layers! There's a dense bottom layer, a soft custard middle layer and a light sponge top layer. I simply love the texture of this cake! My baking kaki and her brother loved it too.


I couldn't help but googled more magic custard cake recipes and made different variations of the cake for the next 3 days, including 2 cakes for sale at our weekly church bake sale :) That was where the conversation at the beginning of this post happened. Stay tuned! I will be posting the other recipes in the next few days.










No comments:

Post a Comment