Thursday 10 July 2014

Dulce De Leche Cake

Dulce de Leche....hmmm sounds pretty exotic. I came across this caramel 2 years back but didn't have the time or the courage to try it. To make Dulce de Leche, you need to boil cans of condensed milk for 3-4 hours to get the nice caramel colour and taste. Since I love Latin music and dances, I thought I should give this a try.

Last week, I made some Dulce de Leche finally and have been searching through the internet for recipes that use Dulce de Leche. I boiled the cans of condensed milk using my trusty Tiger Thermal pot so that I don't have to watch the water level or the fire.


I have bookmarked a number of recipes to try and was attracted by the texture of this cake on the photo. I found this recipe on the tough cookie website and have made some slight modifications.



Dulce de Leche Cake

150g Brown sugar
180g salted Butter (I used unsalted butter as I have added some seasalt into my Dulce de Leche)
4 large Eggs
200g Dulce De Leche
1 tsp Vanilla essence
200g Plain flour
1 tsp Baking powder

1) Pre-heat the oven at 160 deg C.
2) Line and grease a 8 inch loaf pan.
3) Using a double boiler, heat the Dulce de Leche till it becomes runny.
4) Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
5) Add the eggs one at a time to the beaten butter.
6) Mix in Dulce de Leche and Vanilla essence.
7) Sieve the flour and baking powder together and fold into the above mixture.
8) Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 45-55 mins.

I have decorated the cake with some leftover Chocolate ganache and chopped hazelnuts.




I love this cake and the friends whom have tasted this cake have also given their thumbs up.

PS: You can drizzle Dulce de Leche on your cakes or use them as jam on breads. If you would like to buy them off the shelves, Seasalt Caribbean at Pasar Bella is selling them.





No comments:

Post a Comment