Tuesday 19 August 2014

Mooncakes (2): Snow Skin Mooncakes

It's mooncakes time again. I took a break from making mooncakes for a few years but had a sudden inspiration to make my own mooncakes again this year. I wanted to make blueberry cream cheese mooncake but that is still under experiment so will post it after I get the recipe right.

In my last post, I mentioned about checking out the baking supplies stores in the East and buying the mooncake supplies from Kwong Cheong Thye. Finally I had the time to try the snow skin premix from Kwong Cheong Thye last Friday. Love the texture of the skin and the skin managed to stay soft even after 4 days in an air-tight container in the fridge. Tried to pack them in Phoon Huat's mooncake box but the skin cracked the next day! So do remember to keep these mooncakes in an air-tight container.

It was my friend, B's birthday last Saturday and we celebrated her birthday by cooking and baking the Friday afternoon away. Take a look at the many items we did....Lemon Meringue Cupcakes, Osmanthus Konnyaku Mooncakes, Snow Skin Mooncakes, Meringue cookies and I cooked a nice steak dinner to celebrate B's birthday.


Back to the snow skin mooncake, my mum chose the Longan Red Bean paste and it was yummy! To match the filling, I added a little red colouring to the snow skin.


Snow Skin Mooncakes (makes about 10 pieces mini mooncakes)

100g Kwong Cheong Thye snow skin flour (see below photo for the packaging)
40g Glucomalt (see below photo for the packaging)
15g Crisco
100ml water
food colouring
Ready made filling of your choice

1) Put the water, Glucomalt, Crisco and food colour in a pot and bring it to a boil.
2) Put the snow skin flour in a bowl and pour in the water mixture and mix with a spoon till well mixed
3) Leave the snow skin pastry to cool down
4) Use the filling to fill the mould to check on the total weight of the mould. Use a 2:1 filling to pastry ratio to make each mooncake ie if the total weight of the mould is 60g, use 40g filling and 20g of pastry.
5) Wrap the filling with the pastry and press it gently on the mould. Hit the sides of the mould to un-mould the mooncakes.
6) Store the mooncakes in an air-tight container in the fridge.


B and I have also made some Sanrio mooncakes with my new cookie cutters. Aren't they cute?


Hope you will have as much fun making the mooncakes as B and I. Only a few weeks to Mid-Autumn Festival. Have you made your mooncakes yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment