Wednesday 6 August 2014

Magic Custard Cake (2) - Chocolate Orange Magic Custard Cake

Continuing on my exploration of the magic custard cake recipes.... I came across this recipe the next day after baking my first magic custard cake which uses Chocolate and Cointreau! As mentioned in my earlier post, I absolutely love the combination of both Chocolate and Orange. This recipes uses orange liqueur to boot! I couldn't wait to try this recipe... and made my friend, K try the recipe while she was over at my place that afternoon.

I used a 7" square pan this time as I like a taller cake. Look at how magnificent the cake rose as compared to the Lemon one in my previous post. The different layers and textures are also more obvious in this cake.


The recipe is from www.thenoshingbride.com with some modification.


Chocolate Orange Magic Custard Cake
113g unsalted Butter
600ml Milk 
1 cup plain Flour
0.5 cup Cocoa powder
4 large Eggs
1 tbsp caster Sugar
1.5 cups icing sugar
4 tbsp Cointreau (replace with orange juice and orange zest for non-alcoholic version)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

1. Preheat the oven to 160 deg C and line a 7 inch square pan
2. Heat the milk to lukewarm and set aside.
3. Melt the butter and set aside
4. Separate the eggs into 2 mixing bowls. Hand whisk the egg yolks together with the icing sugar till thick and pale yellow.
5. Add the melted butter into the egg yolk and icing sugar mixture and mix well. Ensure the melted butter is not too hot to cook the yolks.
6. Sieve the plain flour and add to the egg yolk mixture.
7. Add the lukewarm milk and the Cointreau to the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
8. Beat the egg whites with the caster sugar till stiff.
9. Fold in the stiff egg white into the egg yolk mixture. The batter will be difficult to fold and lumpy. Try to fold in and minimise any egg white lumps.



10. Pour batter into the cake tray and bake for 45-60 mins. The cake will still have a slight jiggle when done.
11. Leave to cool before un-moulding the cake. Best to chill before cutting and serving the cake.



I have used another of my new stencils to decorate the cake with snow powder (cocoa powder will not be obvious against the colour of the cake).



I love this cake very much and you can really taste the Cointreau in the cake. Brought some to church the next morning and my friends were commenting it's too early for alcohol :P

K and I love the cake so much that we made a non-alcoholic version with orange juice a few days later. The cake was sold out within 3 hours in K's cafe.




No comments:

Post a Comment