Friday 4 July 2014

1st Blog: Guinness Chocolate Cake

Hello everyone

This is the first time I am writing a blog. I love cooking and baking and have always posted photos of my dishes and cakes on Facebook. A friend have asked me several times if I have a blog as she would love to replicate some of the recipes but I have always been too busy to start blogging. Since I am currently on a career sabbatical and trying out new recipes very often, I thought I will give this a try. Char, this is for you :)

I am starting my first blog with a decadent cake: Guinness Chocolate Cake by Nigella Lawson (with some modifications). I love Nigella's recipes and was introduced to her by a close friend in 2010. I have tried this recipe once last year for a baking contest in the office and the judges love the combination. The cake is moist and the taste of Guinness is not very obvious. I would probably try making a Guinness buttercream to go with the cake next time to increase the taste of Guinness.



Guinness Chocolate Cake

1 can Guinness Stout (320ml can)
250g Butter
45g Cocoa powder
80ml Yoghurt
100g Brown sugar
50g Caster sugar
2 large Eggs
1/2 tbsp Vanilla essence
275g Plain flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda

1) Pre-heat the oven at 180 deg C
2) Melt the butter and Guinness Stout together on low fire.
3) Remove from the above mixture from heat, whisk in both types of sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside.
4) Beat the yoghurt, eggs and vanilla essence together using a hand whisk.
5) Add the yoghurt mixture into the Guinness mixture and mix well.
6) Sieve the flour together with baking soda.
7) Add the sieved flour into the Guinness mixture and mix till smooth.
8) Pour the batter into a greased and lined cake tin
9) Bake for 45mins - 55 mins



I have used a bundt pan this time and have drizzled some Dulce de Leche over the cake.


Hope you enjoy this cake like I have.


Update: The Guinness taste is much stronger after 2 days. So patience, patience, patience. Look at how moist the cake is! For this slice, I have spread on some leftover chocolate frosting! Double chocolate!







No comments:

Post a Comment