Wednesday 31 December 2014

Happy 2015! Apple sauce for ham

Today marks the last day of 2014. Happy new year! May 2015 brings you good health, peace and happiness.



2014 has been a year of drama, life changes and new experiences. I thank my family and friends for being supportive of my career change and new friends who have given me opportunities to try new things. With the recent Airasia mishap, it again reminds me of how short life can be. Live each day to the fullest and cherish your love ones. Whatever you want to try, do it now and not wait till next time. There may not be a next time. I am glad I made the trips to Europe and Tokyo this year with my family even though I was not earning as much. The time spent with family is priceless.

I was wondering which recipe I should share with you today. I had some recipes which I had tried earlier but haven't had the chance to post yet. However, just as I was shopping for ingredients for dinner tonight, I saw some green apples from Holland which looked delicious. I decided to try making my own applesauce. I had some applesauce from Seasalt Carribean Deli last week with my turkey and have been wanting to try making it. Coincidentally my mum brought over some ham when I invited her for dinner.


Apple sauce
1.5kg green apples
1.5 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp brown sugar
1- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp rum/whisky (optional)


1.  Slice and core the apples.


2. Melt the butter in a pot, add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Fry till fragrant
3. Add in the apple slices and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well.


4. Cook the apples over low fire till soft (about 8-10 mins)
5. Taste the apples and add more brown sugar and cinnamon if desired.

6. Remove from heat and put the cooked apples in a blender and blend till smooth.
7. Cool before serving. You may bottle the applesauce and refrigerate the applesauce for a week.



Note: You may use white sugar instead of brown sugar and reduce the cinnamon if you like a lighter colour.

You may serve the applesauce with pork chops, ham or sausages.

No comments:

Post a Comment