Monday 13 April 2015

Easy 3 ingredient dessert: Steamed milk custard (original flavour)

Last Thursday, I went to Ah Chew's in Bugis for dessert. I had steamed milk custard, one of my favourite Hong Kong desserts. I was first introduced to the dessert about 10 years back by a Hong Konger. I love the creamy milk taste and always had steamed milk custard at Australian Dairy Company whenever I visit Hong Kong.

I was still thinking about the steamed milk custard after I got home. I have not tried making my own before as I thought I needed little bowls with covers similar to that for Chawamushi (Japanese steamed egg). My sis who was with me thought we could just use bowls or ramkeins. I tried making it for after dinner dessert that evening and was so surprised that it was so easy. It takes just 3 ingredients and about 10 minutes! I have made this dessert 3 times since Thursday.



Steamed milk custard (makes 2 rice bowls sizes)
350ml milk
half tbsp rock sugar cubes
2 egg whites



1) Heat 300ml of milk with the rock sugar. Stir the milk till the sugar melts. Leave the mixture to cool.
2) Whisk the egg whites with 50ml of milk.
3) Pour (2) into (1).
4) Sieve the mixture to remove any lumps
5) Divide the sieved mixture into 2 bowls
6) Steam the mixture for 6-7 minutes.

7) Serve either warm or cold. 


The recipe is very easy right? Do have a try. You may grate some ginger and squeeze the juice and serve it with the custard.

You may heat the milk and sugar with some lemongrass for a lemongrass steamed milk custard.

PS: You may use caster sugar in place of rock sugar




No comments:

Post a Comment